mold inspection

Scientific Mold Inspection

Background: Molds are an integral part of the world we live in, with their spores literally everywhere. In the air we breathe, the food we eat, the water we drink, the clothes we wear. Even the Bible speaks of mold and its remediation. Life as we know it would not be possible without mold, as molds are nature's garbage men. Without molds no decomposition would be possible. The decomposed material then becomes nutrients for new growth.Mold on a basement wall
The organisms we call mold and mildew usually appear as black, gray or green spots on roofs, walls, ceilings and floors are part of the larger group known as 'fungi'. Mold growth requires two things, a moisture source and nutrients. In our buildings, leaking pipes or a hole in the roof provide the moisture, and wooden studs, carpet, drywall and flooring provide the nutrients.

Within 24 to 48 hours, a single spore can blossom into a well developed colony. Each spore contains all the genetic material to make a new colony. With a little assistance from the air or from your clothes, these spores can quickly spread to other locations. While traveling through the air they are dormant, and chemical reactions in the spore are going on very slowly. When a spore lands on a dry surface, it remains dormant and will eventually die. Water, if present, is drawn into the spore by a process known as osmosis.

Our concerns are threefold in our everyday indoor environment:

1. Mold exists naturally and is under control. Spore identification and/or concentration is less than or equal to the immediate outdoor environment.

2. Mold exists and is spreading due to excessive moisture. The indoor environment is greater than 60% RH (Relative Humidity) and spore identification and concentration is greater than the immediate outdoor environment.

3. Mold exists and is abundant enough to pose a health hazard for the occupants of the property.






Call David Hartman today at 505.345.4465 or email: info@airqualitynm.com



The photo to the left shows mold in a basement room caused by a water leak from a busted pipe outside. Although dry to the touch, this area needs remediation before simply being painted over.